- Garbage & Recycling Collection
Garbage & Recycling Collection
Waste Management Empty Bin Collection
If you still have EMPTY Waste Management Garbage or Recycling cans please contact Village Hall at 262-367-2714 and give us your address. Waste Management will collect bins on January 13. Please ensure bins are empty and placed at the curb by 6:00am on Friday, January 13.
2023 GFL Environmental
Collection Calendar and Recycling Map
GFL Trash and Recycling Collection Informational Flyer
The Village of Hartland contracts with GFL Environmental for the collection of residential garbage and recyclable materials. The program, developed in cooperation with Waukesha County and many other municipalities in the county, provides for an expanded list of recyclable materials and streamlines the process of handling and collecting refuse and recycling. The cost for this service is included as a special charge on the annual tax bill.
Both refuse and recycling is collected from all households curbside on Tuesdays. Refuse/garbage is collected weekly from the container provided to each household by the contractor. This container is approximately 96 gallons in size with a black lid. Recyclable material is collected every other week. This container is also approximately 96 gallons in size with a green lid.
Important Container Placement Reminder
Because the collection process is automated, it is important that the collection containers are placed as follows:
- Carts must be place at street no later than 6am for collection
- The arrows on the lid of the cart must point to the street
- Handles and wheels should face away from the street
- The garbage cart should be placed within 2 ft. of the street on one side of the driveway
- The recycle cart should be placed within 2 ft. of the street on the other side of the driveway
- Please keep 3 ft. of clearance between the carts and other objects, especially mailboxes and vehicles
Garbage is collected curbside once a week on Tuesdays. Recyclable materials are collected every other week. The Village is divided into two parts for recycling collection. The GFL garbage/recycling calendar link below shows recycling dates as either Zone 1, North of Capitol Drive, or Zone 2, South of Capitol Drive. Locate your street on the correct recycling map to verify your bi-weekly pickup dates.
Single Sort Recycling
The Village shifted to single sort recycling effective Jan. 1, 2015. Under single sort, residents only need to separate recyclable material from garbage. No need to separate recyclable materials any further.
Place the following items directly in your Recycling Cart (do not put recycling in bags):
- Aluminum cans and clean aluminum foil
- Tin cans, steel cans, empty aerosol cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- #1, #2, and #5 type plastics
- Milk cartons, juice boxes, soup cartons
- Newspaper, magazines, books, mail, school/ office paper
- Brown corrugated cardboard
- Gray chipboard (cereal and shoe boxes)
- Brown paper bags
Residents shall contact the GFL Customer Care Center to schedule the Bulky Waste Collection
- Resident will be asked to confirm address, and item for collection • Limit of one item per week
- Resident will be provided with the day the collection will occur, along with a Work Order/Confirmation #
Items for collection include, but are not limited to the following:
- Household furniture (couches, chairs, tables, cabinets, dressers, or similar)
- Carpet Roll (must be rolled and tied, not to exceed 4ft length or 12” diameter - limit of four (4) per week)
- Countertop, not to exceed 4ft length or 36” wide
- Doors, windows, toilet, other replacement items from a project
- General debris that is too large to place in the cart
- Freon-appliances shall be charged $50 per item
- All items must be WI landfill-eligible for disposal
Excluded items include, but are not limited to the following:
- Electronic Waste
- Any other items that are banned from WI landfills
Alternative Bulk Waste Option
Village of Hartland Residents are to deliver Bulky Waste or additional Solid Waste items to GFL Transfer Station located at 630 East Industrial Drive in Hartland, Wisconsin. Resident shall show proof of residency within the Village, and Contractor shall accept materials at no additional charge to the Customer.
Acceptance guidelines are similar to the items eligible for Curbside Collection.
Hours of operation for the Alternative Bulk Waste option are as follows:
- TUESDAYS – 8am-11am
- 1st SATURDAY of the Month – 7am-10:30am
Unsure of how to properly dispose of an item? Refer to Waukesha County's helpful Product Disposal Page.
Garbage truck fires aren't common, but you can help prevent load fires. Here are the top 12 items that lead to load fires.