In the event of an emergency it is the responsibility of the Library Director or their designee to close the Library to protect the safety and well-being of the staff and patrons. An emergency situation may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Threats to public safety
- Inclement weather
- Extended loss of electricity
- Inability to provide adequate heating and cooling within the building
- No access to water and/or sanitary facilities
- Inability to properly staff the library
Notification of the closing will be provided to the Village Manager/Administrator and the Library Board President. Closing will be announced as appropriate on public news channels and social media. Staff will be notified by the Director or their designee if the library will be closing before their scheduled start time.
During an officially declared closure, affected non-exempt employees shall be paid for actual hours worked and choose one of the following items below for hours not worked.
- Vacation time
- Make up the lost time at a date/time agreeable between the department head and the employee
- Remote work options may be available to full time staff
In all cases, affected non-exempt employees will notify their department head or supervisor immediately of their choice.