Victim Information

Victim's Rights

As a crime victim you have certain rights. Many of these rights are automatic and others are available upon request. Please contact the Victim / Witness Assistance Program so that we may assist you in exercising these rights.

These rights include

  • The right to receive compensation for certain losses, if eligible.
  • The right to have stolen or other personal property returned by law enforcement when no longer needed as evidence.

If the case is prosecuted, other rights include

  • The right to be notified of and attend court proceedings.
  • The right to submit a written or oral victim statement to the court.
  • The right to request testing of the offender to determine the presence of sexually transmitted diseases, where applicable.
  • The right to consult with the juvenile court in-take workers, and/or district attorneys about the case.
  • The right to seek restitution or request a judgment for unpaid restitution.

To obtain a complete list of your rights, contact the Victim/Witness Program or refer to Wisconsin Statutes, Chapter 950, s. 950.04(lv).

Adult Offenders

To determine whether an adult offender is in jail or has been released, please contact the Waukesha County Jail. If the case is referred for prosecution to the District Attorney's Office, you will be contacted by the Victim / Witness Program.

Juvenile Offenders

To determine whether a juvenile offender is in custody or has been released, please contact the Waukesha County Juvenile Center. You will be contacted by a juvenile court intake worker, unless the case is referred to the District Attorney's Office. You may contact the juvenile court intake at Waukesha County Health & Human Services.

If no one has been Arrested

An arrest may not be made during the investigation of the crime you reported. If you would like to know about the status of the investigation to report, please contact the Hartland Police Department.

Threats or Intimidation

If you are subjected to threats or harassment because of your cooperation with the law enforcement and/or prosecution efforts, please contact the Hartland Police Department. You may also contact the Victim/Witness Program for assistance with safety planning.

If you are in Immediate Danger, Call 911

Please let us know if your address or phone number changes by calling the Hartland Police Department.


If the offender is convicted of a crime, you may be entitled to restitution. For assistance with restitution, please contact the Victim / Witness Program. You will need to provide the court with the following information:

  • An itemized list of losses
  • Written estimates or receipts for the cost to replace/repair the items
  • Copies of medical bills or estimates of treatment

If you do not provide this information in a timely fashion, you may lose the opportunity to seek restitution.

Crime Victim Compensation

The Crime Victim Compensation Program may be available to help pay for unreimbursed expenses resulting from this crime, even if there is no arrest or conviction. To be eligible, a victim must not have caused or contributed to the crime, and must cooperate with law enforcement in their investigation and prosecution of the crime. Other restrictions and requirements exist.

Application forms and assistance with filing a claim may be obtained by contacting the Victim / Witness Program. You may also contact Crime Victim Compensation.

Waukesha County District Attorney's Office Victim / Witness Assistance Program

The Victim/Witness Program was established to assist crime victims and witnesses. It provides information, community referrals, support and advocacy. For help in exercising your rights as a crime victim, or for assistance with any of the programs mentioned in this brochure, please call us. We want to help!


VINE (Victim Information & Notification Everyday) is a free, 24-hour telephone service that allows citizens to check on the status of offenders in custody of the Wisconsin County Jail System, and to register for automated notification when an offender is released or their custody status changes.

When using WI-VINE, you can quickly find out whether the offender is still in custody. You can also register to receive notification when the offender’s custody status changes.