Burning Permits

Burning permits may be picked up at the Fire Department weekdays, 6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

View the burning permit form (PDF).

Recreational Fires

The Village of Hartland does not allow any type of open burning except recreational fires, which means small campfires on private property, and small fires confined to pits. Fire Department personnel will check out the area you want to build your burning pit on before the permit is issued.

The cost for this permit is $20.00 and it is good for two years.

Keep it Small

Recreational fires can be no more than three feet in diameter, with flames that do not reach higher than three feet from the base of the fire.

Keep It Safe

Recreational fires are required to be at least 15 feet from any building, structure, shed, garage, tree, shrub, bush, fence, or any combustible material and must be surrounded by non-combustible materials such as concrete, rock, or cement block.

Outdoor Cooking

The only other types of open burning permitted in the Village is with a propane or charcoal grill used for the grilling or cooking of food.

Other Burning

Burning of untreated wood, branches, or logs less than eight inches in diameter is only allowed within an outdoor fireplace enclosed by screening (provided such outdoor fireplace is commercially manufactured and intended for such purpose), used in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations, maintained in good working order, and located upon a non-combustible surface such as dirt without vegetation, stone, gravel, concrete, brick, etc. that is twice the diameter of the outdoor fireplace.

Town of Merton Residents

Residents that live in the Town of Merton, and are within the Hartland Fire Department contracted area, need a permit to burn. Permits are at no cost and good for 5 days, once a month. These permits also have to be picked up at the Hartland Fire Department weekdays between the hours of 6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Click link to Sec. 38 of the Municipal Code for further information.